Saturday, December 15, 2007

19 Weeks

On Friday morning I went into Phil's office to give the secretary something and he was standing there on hold waiting to talk to someone on his cell phone. I began talking with Betsy and we took care of the business we needed to. Then all of the sudden Phil's eyes got really big and he proclaimed,
"You really look like you are with child. You must have popped in the last few days, because up until now I didn't think you looked pregnant."

Do you want to know what I thought? Well if not, I am going to tell anyways. I thought,
"Yes, Someone, other than Garrett after constant prodding, actually thinks I look pregnant!"
It was a small moment, but one that was very validating. The belly obsession continues, and its not looking like it will dwindle anytime soon:)

Yesterday was a tough day. Grant had his first slalom race of the season, and something happened in the 4th turn on the first run. He twisted his knee, blew out, hiked to get through the gate he missed and tried to finish. He told me he was in so much pain that when he got to the flats he just couldn't finish and ended up falling.

We ended up in the clinic and saw a great doctor, Dr. Price. He was optimistic that Grant had not torn his minicus, wanted to get and MRI to be sure. He was leaning towards a tear or strain of his Left LCL or lateral collateral ligament. Grant begins PT twice a week asap, and hopefully will recover soon enough to race well this season. He is such a good skier and it was so hard to see him thinking about the loss of something he has worked so hard for.

After the doctor we went to Subway for a treat, and while in the car he looks at me and says, "Well if I cant ski, I can hunt! I guess its not all bad."

Such a Higerd. If its not skiing then its hunting. I guess being 14 in Mammoth could be a whole lot worse:)


So I have been feeling the baby move a lot in the past few days. It has been so fun because I now know what to feel for. Whenever I am still I can feel the little one flipping around in there. The baby seems to be quite a little in utero acrobat. I am really enjoying this stage of my pregnancy.

So onto week 19 Development:


Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces, and s/he measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of a large heirloom tomato. The baby's arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of his body now. His kidneys continue to make urine, and the hair on the scalp is sprouting. This is a crucial time for sensory development: Your baby's brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. If your baby is a girl, she has an astonishing 6 million eggs in her ovaries. They'll dwindle to fewer than two million by the time she's born.


So exciting:) I cant wait to know if the baby is a him or a her. Whats your guess?

4 comments:

  1. Well my guess is that this grandchild just might be our first boy. But maybe that's just because I couldn't resist getting the cute boy cloths at the garage sale! Pink is great too, I can't wait to find out. Garrett are you thinking about a name? I want to play the name game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on having a boy!!!! Ok where is the blog about the exciting news? :) Boys are SO much fun (I'm sure my tone might change in 13 years but its sure great now)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi mrs. pregnant lady,...i corrected my blog for you. oh, please forgive me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. alright, nice ticker update, but where's the good stuff for those of us that don't live within 30 miles of you?

    ReplyDelete