Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Does Every Preganant Woman Think Things Like This?



So I woke up this morning thinking about the movie "The Abyss" , its an obscure 80's movie by James Cameron, and was wondering about Ed Harris' character and if he could really have breathed liquid oxygen. In the movie he must travel down into the abyss and its so deep that regular oxygen wont work. They fill his tank with liquid O2, and they tell him to breathe it in and his body will remember how to breathe like when he was in the womb.

Now I am not stupid enough to believe that this could actually happen, but it did get me thinking about my baby and how it will be breathing. Everything I have read suggests that the baby's internal organs are developing and that includes the lungs. Lung maturity wont be complete for a awhile but does the baby breathe while in the womb? I know the first breathe outside the womb is a big deal, its the moment everyone waits for, the moment that gets people worries if the baby doesn't scream.... Nevertheless, I am just wondering about it.

I am sure other pregnant mothers wonder strange things, but I think this might be an extremely strange one...

5 comments:

  1. ou are so cute, ReAnnon! I miss you! Your Christmas tree looks precious,..and do you guys have green walls?! And a woodstove?! I am SOOO incredibly jealous! I can't wait for James and I to come visit you!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They practice "breathing" in womb, but they take in amniotic fluid instead of air, obviously. At our last ultrasound we could actually SEE her "breathing" movements, the fluid going in and out of her mouth. It was really cool. But anyways, still weird thoughts. Typical though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't call it an extremely strange thought, but perhaps kinda strange. I can't remember if I ever thought about that or not but I'm sure I had my share of random-first-time-pregnant thoughts of my own. If however, you begin to think that you have an alien growing in your tummy like in the Sigorney Weaver movie call me immediately! Hugs and Kisses MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, you're not weird at all. Or maybe I'm just weird too?? I remember that movie and getting wigged out at the idea of the babies breathing liquid.

    Actually, when Dan was born (his due date was 13 years ago, yesterday!), there was meconium (sp?)in my amniotic fluid and we had to have a special neonatal team at the delivery to pump the fluid out of his lungs so he didn't get an infection. Everything was fine and I wasn't worried about it when it was happening, believe it or not. But it was actually a bit of a blessing because they completely cleared all of the mucus out of his nose and throat, which meant he could latch on without issues, so I was nursing like a pro before we left the hospital. Beth, on the other hand, had such a stuffy nose that nursing was a challenge until we figured out what the problem was.

    Just for the record, though, maybe I should have had your mom to talk to. When Dan got really big and you could visibly see my belly rippling as he moved, I did feel a bit like that scene from "Alien"! ;-)

    Thanks for the blogs. It's neat hearing about your pregnancy and reliving the experience vicariously through them.

    ReplyDelete