Thursday, July 31, 2008

Lessons From The Bob!

So here is the exciting story you all have been waiting for I am sure...

I really wanted a Bob Revolution Stroller. I have been dreaming of owning this glorious piece of equipment for months now and was slightly consumed by the idea of pushing precious Jude down a lovely path in his very own Bob.

The only problem was that Bob is a very pricey piece of baby gear. I really wanted to just buy it, I mean its what I wanted and that should be enough of a reason right? I had my argument all figured out and presented it to Garrett many times. Each time I thought I had presented a bullet proof argument, he would respond very lovingly , with reasons why he believed I didnt "need" such an extravagant stroller. Need had nothing to do with it, well, I did need a stroller, but I had some others that worked, but I really wanted the Bob. I wanted it...


I have such a wonderful husband who helps me see areas in which I need to grow. I had become slightly obsessed with the Bob. I would think about it at night and would try to sneek it into every conversation. Garrett was not going to let something so foolish consume me. He told me that I could not buy the Bob new and that if I could find one for $200 I could buy it. This was a great compromise in his mind and another opportunity for me to learn about submission. I was mad! Where in the world would I be able to find the most perfect stroller for $200. After 12 hours or so of a mad and hurt heart, I let the idea of the Bob go. I surrendered to the facts that no person in their rightful mind would sell such a stroller for half price, and that if such person existed I would never come into contact with them.


Then after my pitty party was over, I prayed. I confessed my sins of pride, idolatry and anger to the Lord and expressed my desire for the Bob. Its a stroller that will last me many years, I said, and besides Gabe thought it was a great stroller, doesnt that count for something. I told God how I realized it was extravagant and how I am sure I could be perfectly happy with and have all my needs met by another stroller, but I just really wanted this particular one. After I finished praying, I left it alone .


The next day however was a new day. I just thought I would look around for that person who I thought could never exist. I found him on craigslist. There it was, a navy blue Bob Revolution on the internet for $200. It was listed in San Diego. Immediately my fingers began to email at the speed of lightening. I think I screamed and shrieked at the possibility of owning the stroller. But with craigslist you cant get too excited, so I emailed and waited. Not 30 minutes later the owner emailed me back and we began a correspondence through which I agreed to purchace the Bob. I was thrilled. I am pretty sure I screamed again. I learned that this man had purchaced the stroller for his wife for Mother's Day last year and she didnt like it. WHAT? How could you not like this stroller. He said it was in pretty good shape and needed to be cleaned, but I figured it was way worth any minor cosmetic flaw. Nonetheless, we made a deal. Chandler agreed to pick it up for me and that was that!

I called Garrett and left him a message on his work voicemail, because by this time he had returned home. Mari overheard the voicemail and asked what he would think of such an excited rant, and I told her he would most likely shake his head and smile.

I then went back to the Lord and thanked him for blessing me with something that I wanted but really didn't need. And in my time of prayer I realized that Jesus will meet me in my wants as well as my needs. Often time I need him much more that I want him, but even still I am extended grace and mercy when I begin and endeavor with sinful and selfish motives. I also learned that submitting to Garrett really is the best thing for me even in my wants not just my needs. Submission is really a wonderful thing. Garrett is not asking for submission because he wants be some heavy handed dictator, he expects submission because he truly has my best interest at heart and can see my flaws better than I can. He helps me be a better Christian, wife and mother, by expecting me to submit to him as I would to the Lord. I felt so content and happy with the situation and so we all went out for the afternoon to the Petting Zoo.

When we returned home I checked my email and the owner of the stroller had emailed saying that if he didn't hear from me by 6:30 he would sell to stroller to another interested buyer! WHAT! I freaked out, it was 6:26! I emailed, and called his cell phone honestly, 87 times. He wasn't answering the phone. I almost started to cry. I retreated upstairs and sat down for a quite moment. I had to look inward, and see why I was reacting so. Did the lessons I had learned earlier in the day stuck , or were they so easily digested because I had gotten what I wanted? I realized that if I was able to purchase the stroller or not, I had learned that submission is the right heart decision and that God meets me needs, which are more important that my wants.

Not two minutes later the owner called and told me that his family had come over for an impromptu bar-b-q and that he left his cell phone in the car. He would be happy to sell me the stroller and that Chandler could pick it up that night. All my freaking out was for naught.

So the lesson of the story is that God cares about my wants, but more than that He cares about my heart and its motives. The Bob could have been anything. I don't think it was about the stroller. I needed to learn that when I elevate things above God I am sinning. I must never desire created things above the Creator. The Bob was a wonderful way to learn this lesson, because now each time I take my son for a stroll, I will be reminded that the God of the Universe loves me so much that the desire for a stroller was not outside of his concern. And even more than that, I can remember to worship my Creator out in His creation.


This was the first stroll I took. Caroline, Chandler and I went to the park!
P.S. When Chandler brought the stroller up to me, and I got to check it out, I noticed that the tires still had the nubs on them. I think they maybe used this stroller once or twice. There were stubs to Disneyland in the pocket. The original owner told me "pretty good shape,"
I realize now that he meant immaculate and is probably very much like my dad in how he takes care of things... Because only to men like that does "pretty good" mean perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the family BOB! I love you honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great example of a blessing that came from obedience. And not only that, but you truly do have the discernment and heart of a teacher. Thanks for the lesson. It is certainly one I can reap from.

    ReplyDelete