Sunday, May 11, 2008

Quite the Scare

So Thursday evening at about 20 until 6 I started feeling nauseous and light headed. I was at my parents house in Round Valley and Garrett was headed home from Bridgeport. I didn't feel up to driving home to Mammoth by myself, so after 3 text messages and 2 phone calls to Garrett, he agreed to pick me up in Crowley; my mom was willing to drive me that far.

About 15 minutes before we left Round Valley, I had to make a mad dash to the bathroom. To say it nicely, I had some very loose bowels. And afterwards, I was let down because I experienced no relief from the nausea.

We met up with Garrett, headed home and called the hospital. We spoke to the nurse who encouraged me to drink fluids and try to stay hydrated. I attempted to do so but over the next three hours the nausea worsened to vomiting, and the diarrhea continued. I had not been this sick in years. It was the kind of sickness where you aren't sure which way to face the toilet because you aren't sure which side might explode first...:(

After two more phone calls to the Labor and Delivery Nurse and diminished movement from the baby, we decided to go to the hospital at 11:45 pm Thursday night.

Turns out it was a very good decision to go to the hospital. I was so dehydrated that they hung three bags of fluid. The baby was fine and not distressed, but I was glad to have him monitored. The doctor came to visit me and was very encouraging and very helpful in explaining the situation.

I was discharged Friday Morning around 9:00am and spent most of the day on the couch at my in-laws watching television and drinking Gatorade:) I love to do both of those things, so all in all it worked out pretty good.

I was so thankful for all that the nurses and the doctor did for Garrett and I. I cant imagine life without modern medicine...

No comments:

Post a Comment