Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Blueberry Peach Crisp


Recently, I stumbled upon a website entitled World's Healthiest Foods. I haven't spent a ton of time there, but I liked several of the recipes they provide. I think its some gimmick for you to drink their juice or something, and I wont be doing that; however, I did poke around enough which led me to make a few things for dinner.

One of the desserts stood out to me first. "Well of course it did ReAnnon." I can hear in my head, I have a thing for treats. Candy, Sweets, Coca-Cola, and all things bad for me. I like them. They make me happy. I am an emotional sweets eater... There I make it public, what a sigh of relief...haha

But seriously, I like desserts. But this Blueberry Peach Crisp hits the spot and is suprisingly sweet with out being sugary. I changed the recipe a but by not using the pitted dates, and once used dried plumbs since I had them around, and the second time I used rasins. I liked the rasins better. The plumbs made the crisp topping too dark brown. I also whipped some whipping cream and topped the servings with that. It made for a delicious dessert. You should try it...

Here is the Recipe from WHF:

Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes, cooking time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 10 oz fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 lb of fresh or frozen peach slices
  • ¼ cup apple juice
  • Topping
  • ½ cup almonds
  • ½ cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup pitted dates
  • 2 TBS apple juice
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat over to 350. Place blueberries in the bottom of a square 8 inch baking pan. If you are using frozen, make sure they are completely thawed and drained of excess water. Place peach slices on top of blueberries. If they are frozen make sure they are also thawed and drained of excess water. Drizzle ¼ cup apple juice over fruit.
  2. Remove pits from dates and place in the bowl of a food processor along with oats, almonds and cinnamon. After running for a minute and dates are blended with oats and almonds, add apple juice, and mix well.
  3. Place mixture evenly over peaches and blueberries, and bake uncovered for about 45 minutes. Serve warm or cool.
    Serves 4-6

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Haha - the first thing I looked at on that recipe was "prep time" - and it passed! Maybe I'll be able to give it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought the same thing. I wondered if the list of ingredients and the prep-time would pass your testing. ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think doing a "Woe is me" blog will make you feel better. They're very therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete